back and forth

My two lives. My late night/early mornings life of mad crafty energy, where my fingers itch to create and my mild mannered day life of teaching, biking, tennis and the love of my life!

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Can't catch me!

There is an interesting phenomena out on the backroads. If there's someone ahead, you try and catch them. Likewise, if there's someone coming up in your mirror, you do all you can NOT to let them catch you! In my world, mostly I exist to make weekend roadies feel good about themselves as they pass me, usually with a friendly 'good morning' as I let them pass with good grace.

Today, I was out on my Dolce, panniers 1/2 loaded (room left for a stop at Pedrick's Produce) I was keeping an okay pace, but not pushing it. Then I saw them. 2 cyclists in my mirror. I was still about 7 miles from Winters. You see the Winters bridge is 'home base' . If I get there before they catch me, I win. If they catch me before the bridge, I LOSE! I picked up the pace.

And so did they. Rats! Well, one of the things I was working on today was not coasting, and I certainly didn't: I pedaled going down, I pedaled through the turns, I pedaled for all I was worth. Okay, okay, a tail wind helped. Many miles later, and achingly close to 'base' I was doing 19 mph, which wasn't bad for being loaded down. I declared victory, as I slowed to pull onto the bridge. Seconds after I pulled over and got off my bike, those two pulled onto the bridge. 2 men, maybe a few years younger. One, I think was rather peeved that I had made it first, a small middle aged lady with panniers, and he said nothing at all. The 2nd guy, dripping with sweat and friendliness, stopped to chat. Asked how far I was going, talked about panniers, and the like. Not a word was spoken about our 'race' but oh, it was understood. lol!

I love cycling.

2 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger PurlingPirate said...

What fun!!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger AmysBabies said...

Fantastic! That sounds like such a great ride :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home