back and forth

My two lives. My late night/early mornings life of mad crafty energy, where my fingers itch to create and my mild mannered day life of teaching, biking, tennis and the love of my life!

Sunday, September 25, 2005

back and forth indeed - fibers

Went to a charming homestead in Dixon, and a women's cottage fiber studio. She had alpaca and variations thereof, sheep, mohair, alpaca, wool. Not the greatest stuff, had vm and second cuts, but I went away with $17 of damage. The colored pale bronze kid mohair will be fun. The alpaca was a mess. Remindar to myself: Forget the raw stuff!!!

Of course, I still dream of a pewter wool fleece I let go by years ago in Grass Valley. I'm nuts.

...and I'm getting tired of knitting. Figures, right? I'm such a fickle person. Emp follows through and makes something of her sewing. Me, I'm thinking about growing my own BANANAS! (Smithsonian, Oct 2005 'Grow a Better Banana')

At least I'm working in my garden in the Fall. Pulled out some hopeless tomato plants. Watered a little. Will add coffee grounds, etc...should get some rain, finally, thank goodness.

With Hurricane Katrina and Rita and gas dependency, I'm thinking 'Victory Garden' and growing as much as I can of my own food (pull out that worthless apricot tree for something else. Nectarine?) and put back in those garlic (5 or 6 varieties, now all unlabeled. Sigh) and a few onions.

I plan to grow these tomatos next year:
Purple Cherokee(2), Sungold, Prue, Tigerella, Lampa Alladina, Trifele (2), Mikado, Black from Tula, Lemon Boy (2), Speckled Roman, Celebrity.

New: Crimson Rose (pear bi-color)

Yay! The walnuts are falling at school. I picked up a small bagful today. I love picking walnuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home