back and forth

My two lives. My late night/early mornings life of mad crafty energy, where my fingers itch to create and my mild mannered day life of teaching, biking, tennis and the love of my life!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Handspun vs. Handpainted







While at my dye workshop, I had dyed 100% alpaca top right next to a skein of 100% alpaca fingering yarn.

Here's the comparison. On the left is the fingering yarn, on the right is my handspun.

Pretty interesting, yes?

(This is what I did instead of report cards...)

The fingering yarn is 1.65 ounces, and came to 174 yards. My handspun came to 160 yards and is 4.10 ounces! True, I spun it pretty tightly, thinking socks, but what do they do to commercial yarn? Puff them up with some mysterious lightness? My handspun feels dense.

Here's a close up of a strand (ala Vogue Knitting!) I found I really knit loosely. According to my stitches, the commercial fingering is DK, and mine is worsted. Heh. I knew my handspun would work as sock yarn! Call it sport at least!

Next: the swatches!

My handpainted commercial yarn.

& ..........

My pretty heathered handspun! More organic.

I like both, just very different effects.

Last pic of the day? The koolaid auction socks!

1 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger AmysBabies said...

I love your yarn. It is always so beautiful.
Amy from amysbabies.etsy.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home